22 March 2012

Horseback-Riding on the Beach!

Two weekends ago my roommate Jessa and I went on a trip with Discover Sevilla to go to Mataslascañas Beach for a day of riding horses and enjoying the coast! It was actually the first time I went horsebacking-riding, so it was very exciting. My friend Jeanie was on the same trip, and I talked a bit with a few other travelers too, most of whom were study abroad students.

Jessa and me enjoying the playa

My friends and I were in the first group to ride the horses. My horse was really calm, and her name was Albina (she was albino!). Our trail led from the stables through Doñana National Park. At first we were just riding through the trees. As we got higher into the hills, we had a beautiful view of the beach to our left and the valleys to our right. To head back to the stables, we went down the hills to the shore and rode most of the way back along the coast! A short trail through Doñana National Park lead us the rest of the way back from the beach.

I do not have pictures from the horseback ride (can you imagine holding a camera while riding a horse?), 
but here is a short video from their webpage to give you an idea of the scenery.

It was really nice being in the first group to ride because it gave us the rest of the afternoon to relax without any interruptions. After enjoying a glass of the free Sangria provided for us, Jeanie and I headed to a seafood restaurant for lunch with one of the other travelers. We got an outside table with a view of the beach that was right in the sun. It was perfect. The local shrimp was especially tasty :) The weather that day was sunny and warm, but also had quite a bit of wind - at times it was a little chilly, but while we were at the restaurant, the building blocked the wind for us!

Jeanie and me after lunch
I finished out the afternoon with attempted napping/sunbathing, walking along the beach, finding a souvenir seashell, and grabbing dessert with friends. 

Matalascañas Beach, in the providence of Huelva


On my horse for the day, in the morning before the ride.


1 comment:

  1. Horse Riding has become a very popular sport. It is fun and great exercise and great for kids to socialize.

    Bryce Canyon Horseback Riding

    ReplyDelete